Wednesday 15 April 2015

I write this sitting on my boyfriend's couch, again

15th April 2015

I write this sitting on my boyfriend's couch, again. I have just finished Mary Shelley's apocalyptic novel The Last Man, you heard right I read a Shelley novel that WASN'T Frankenstein. I found it a very interesting novel, but a lot longer than it needed to be. It is set in 2092 from the point of view of Lionel, a rejected aristocrat who becomes the last man. Obvious enough it may seem. However the fact it was written by a Romantic writer but set 77 years from now, makes the content seem a little strange but understandable; I mean how was Mrs Shelley expect to know we will probably all die of a nuclear attack before he get struck by the plague again. In addition, I found the date interesting, if anything your would think 2000 would be the optimum year for a 19th century writer to write about an apocalypse. Furthermore, its focus is very much on Europe and how the characters seek easier landscape away from Britain in places such as Rome and Greece.

No comments:

Post a Comment